Pages

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Playing with Paper

So the other day I went to the dollar store for valentines stickers for my niece. While I was in the store, I decided to see if I could find any cheap mini notebooks and large sticky-note type notepads. I was pumped when I found a pack of 3 mini notebooks for a buck and some large sticky notes. The only problem with the sticky notes is that they were neon colored, so I bought a green one because I knew I had colored papers at home that would work with it. I've been wanting to branch out from just making cards to other paper crafts, so I wanted to just buy one of each to experiment with...

Beware.... I took a lot of pictures this time...




This one is for my niece (LKG = her initials). She is 5 and absolutely LOVES to draw and write herself notes, so I thought this would be a cute little notebook that she could put into one of her purses....


The last mini notebook I made in colors to match the sticky note holder. I'm thinking of using them for a gift set of some kind. I might make up some matching small note cards and get a pen. I found this great tutorial for making up containers for paper gift sets. I just have to find the URL again! lol....




Hope you are all having a great start to your short work week!!!!! Me likey short work weeks :) I worked a half day from home yesterday, but I got to sleep in an extra 2 hours and get up at 7:30 instead of 5:30 so that was a nice bonus!

P.S. I need a better adhesive or system for putting paper around the binding of notebooks. (Which is why I only did this on one of the notebooks.) Right now I am using the "Wrap a ton of string around the notebook and tie tight until the adhesive sets" method and hoping that the paper doesn't peel off when the string comes off. Have any of you made notebooks like this? Any tips?

Oh... yeah... supplies used..... Forgive me peeps, I was up early this morning and I haven't quite had enough coffee in my system yet....

Supplies:
Paper: Basic card stock from Michaels, Patterned paper from a friend
Embellishments: Ribbon from a friend, my cousin, and from K&Company dollar scrapbooking supplies at Target
Letters: Stickers from K&Company dollar scrapbooking supplies at Target, don't remember what paper pack I got the pink letters from

I used my score board for the top flap of the sticky notes holder to add a little bit more visual interest. Doesn't really look like it in the picture, but you can tell when you are looking at it in person :)

4 comments:

  1. I have seen little books similar to this and always admired them. Yours turned out absolutely lovely. And I like the sticky notes too...I love using mine from you. =) I think that the little sets will be great.

    Glad you enjoyed the holiday weekend. =) Have fun back to work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Anita :)

    Hope that you have a great week too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! How fun! These look great, Ashley! I'm planning a how-to on alterned notebooks real soon -- I'm not feeling great at the moment, but hopefully this weekend I can do it.

    What adhesive are you using? I use a Scotch ATG gun, and my papers aren't budging.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used my Scotch ATG gun too. I think it may have had more to do with the weight of the adhesive and paper pulling the notebook open than the strength of the adhesive actually. It seemed to be find after I tied the thing shut until it had time to set.

    ReplyDelete